. The Teacher’s Companions come in both the International Editions and the Australian Editions.
The student Activities Books also come in International and Australian Editions. The Activities Books run parallel to the Teacher’s Companions but with all the teacher’s notes and lesson plans. There is loads of space and lines for students to complete activities and questions. While the teacher will need the one Companion, the students will need an Activity Book each.
The Companions and Activities Books come in a range of three to match the stage progression of the Readers:
– Stage 1: Foundation, Grades 1 and 2
– Stage 2: Grades 3 and 4
– Stage 3: Grades 5 and 6
Each Companion is crafted to meet curriculum grade-level content descriptors for English and/or other teaching areas, developing literacy and other General Capabilities. The Teacher’s Companion for each poem focuses on contextual teaching suggestions and activities to facilitate learning and engagement with poetry, language and complex themes.
Teacher’s Companion’s unpacks the curriculum and supports the teaching of literacy across the key learning areas. It includes learning sequences, lesson activities and engaging worksheets, black–line masters and projects for students.
The pedagogical framework for the poems in this series reflects a constructivist approach to teaching and learning, encouraging students to actively engage with the content and to construct meaning by drawing connections with their own knowledge and experiences.
Teacher’s Companions contain:
- Explanatory notes that make it easy for teachers to choose poems suited to their class/subject and provide metalanguage for engaging with the poems.
- Lesson objectives aligned to curriculum that facilitate the teaching of literacy through poetry across the key learning areas.
- General Capabilities and Cross-Curriculum Priorities incorporated into lesson activities, building student skills and meeting teaching guidelines.
- Discussion Points for teachers.
- Activities for students, including ‘photocopiable’ worksheets and black-line masters for independent work as well as suggestions for extension activities and differentiation options that make the curriculum accessible to all learners.